Whether you are just starting to see the signs of aging or you are looking to visibly reduce fine lines and wrinkles, following a healthy skin care routine is a great way to help slow down the aging process. It doesn’t have to be a complicated regimen that includes copious amounts of steps and products. Establishing a simple, consistent routine that includes cleansing, hydrating, repair and protection will help you improve fine lines and wrinkles, while keeping your skin looking and feeling younger and healthier.
Incorporate these 6 healthy skin care habits to help slow down aging:
- Wash with a gentle cleanser daily. Every day we apply makeup to our faces, and we are exposed to natural skin oils, pollutants and bacteria, which build up over the course of the day. Cleansing twice a day is necessary to keep your skin looking and feeling healthy and fresh. Simply apply a small amount of gentle facial cleanser with warm water in a light circular motion all over the surface of your face and neck. Avoid scrubbing, which will cause damage, inflammation and dehydration to your skin. We love the ZO Gentle Cleanser, which is great for all skin types.
- Exfoliate 2-3 times per week. Exfoliating is imperative to remove dead skin cells and allow for skin cell regeneration and collagen stimulation. It helps unclog pores and helps prevent bacteria build up and acne. It also assists with evening your skin tone and allows for skin care products and serums to penetrate deeper. We love ZO Exfoliating Polish, which leaves your skin with a smooth and healthy glow.
- Use anti-aging serum. Facial serums can help diminish the signs of aging. Apply by patting (not rubbing) a small amount to the surface of your face after you wash and before you moisturize. We love iS CLINICAL Youth Serum, which contains safe growth factors that helps improve the feel of skin firmness and elasticity.
- Moisturize daily. As we age, our skin becomes drier and wrinkles and fine lines form. Moisturizing daily allows for our skin to trap water, resulting in a more youthful appearance. One of our all time favorites is ZO Hydrating Creme. A tiny amount goes a long way to reverse dry skin, leaving your skin feeling smooth and healthy.
- Apply sunscreen daily. Sunscreen not only helps protect your skin from the sun’s harmful rays, but it also helps slow down the aging process. Sun exposure results in an increased risk of skin cancer and also causes wrinkles, age spots and scaly patches on the surface of your skin. Apply sunscreen every day as part of your normal skin care routine and remember to protect your face as much as possible.
- Eat well and drink plenty of water. Eat plenty of vegetables, healthy proteins and healthy fats. Reduce the amount of sugars in your diet to help avoid aggravating skin conditions, such as acne and eczema. Drink at least half of your weight in water (oz) each day. Water is essential for maintaining skin moisture and delivering nutrients to your skin cells. It helps replenish the skin and improve skin elasticity. Get a good reusable water bottle that you can take along with you and refill each day.
In addition to the above, be sure to establish a good sleep schedule and get plenty of sleep each night. Your skin is most able to repair and regenerate itself at night while you are asleep!
There are many skin care products available that are geared towards specific skin conditions and goals. We are always happy to discuss your anti-aging goals and recommend the best products for you. Call us (919) 706-4900 and we will help you select which skin care products are best for your skin!