With summer in full swing, protecting your skin from sun damage is crucial! Here are 5 reminders for how you can protect yourself and maintain healthy skin throughout the summer months.
1. Use a broad spectrum (UVA & UVB) sunscreen every day…especially on your face, even when it’s cloudy! Generously apply sunscreen of 30 SPF or higher all over exposed skin 30 minutes prior to going out in the sun and reapply at least every 2 hours, specifically after swimming or sweating. A water-resistant type is best! Triangle Facial Plastic Surgery offers many sunscreens and can help you select which is best for your skin. Call (919) 706-4900 for more info!
2. Be fashionable while protecting yourself! Have fun and wear protective clothing like hats and sunglasses when you head out in the sun. Long sleeves and pants are great additions for additional protection…darker colors provide better protection.
3. Seek shade, especially when the sun’s rays are the strongest during the hours of 10am and 4pm.
4. Use caution if you are taking medications that make you more sensitive to the sun, including specific types of antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, anti-fungals, blood pressure medications and chemotherapies.
5. Don’t forget to see a dermatologist for an annual scan to detect changes and abnormalities.
In addition, don’t forget to give your face and body some extra TLC by exfoliating, hydrating with moisturizer and cooling any overexposed skin with a cooling balm! And don’t forget to drink PLENTY of water!