Hyperpigmentation (aka – age spots, liver spots, and sun damage) is a common skin condition characterized by darker patches of skin due to excess melanin production. This pesty discoloration of the skin affects adults of varying skin tones & ages and may be caused by a variety of factors including genetics, hormones, and excessive sun exposure. If you’re dealing with hyperpigmentation, there are a variety of skincare products and highly effective cosmetic treatments available to help improve the appearance of dark spots on the skin.
As we age, and the more we laugh and smile, lines and folds in our facial skin appear and become more visible. Over time, those lines may become deeper and form permanent wrinkles that are present whether you’re smiling or not.
Are you among the group of many adults struggling with smile lines around the mouth and nasolabial folds (creases that extend along the bottom of the nose down to the mouth – aka “laugh lines”)? Don’t fret! You have options!
Are you bothered by irksome dark patches of skin on your face? You’re not alone! Hyperpigmentation (aka age spots and liver spots) is a common sign of aging that occurs when brown pigment (melanin) is overproduced as a result of sun exposure, inflammation, acne scars, genetics, and melasma (aka “the mask of pregnancy”). For those faced with hyperpigmentation, the fall and winter months, when sun exposure is minimal, are the best time to seek treatment to remove brown pigment in Raleigh.
Our team of skincare experts at Triangle Facial Plastic Surgery weigh in on 5 cosmetic treatment options you may consider to help remove brown pigment and enjoy a more clear and even skin tone. Keep in mind that when pursuing any of the following treatments, it’s imperative that you stay out of the sun!
6 Non-Surgical Cosmetic Treatments to Reduce Wrinkles
Wrinkles are one of the early visible signs of aging that may begin for adults in their 20s, becoming more prominent over time, depending on a variety of factors. For many people, wrinkles can be quite bothersome and wreak havoc on one’s self-confidence. The good news is that improving the appearance of wrinkles is possible, and whether you are looking to start small or go bigger, our team of experts at Triangle Facial Plastic Surgery has several options for you; read on to learn more!
Thank you for helping us become a finalist for the WRAL Voters’ Choice Awards again! Please follow the link below and vote for us in the “Cosmetic Surgeon” category. The voting period goes until November 20th. We are so grateful for your support and thank you for choosing Triangle Facial Plastic Surgery to be your cosmetic surgeon in Raleigh, NC!
We are thrilled to announce that Dr. Adam Becker – Triangle Facial Plastic Surgery has been nominated for The News & Observer’s “Raleigh’s Best” awards competition. We are so appreciative of the love and support from our patients who nominated our practice for “BEST COSMETIC SURGERY” and we thank you so much!
Voting begins today and will run through Friday 8/19 @ 5 PM. We would love your continued support and votes to help Dr. Becker win!
HOW TO VOTE:
Follow this link to the Vote Raleigh’s Best main voting page.
Members of the community may vote once every 24 hours so please vote as many times as you would like.
VOTE NOW at https://www.voteraleighsbest.com/
Maximize Your Wedding Day Glow With These Tips
Glowing wedding day skin is on every bride’s wish list, and it’s absolutely attainable with proper planning and guidance. Our team of highly experienced anti-aging experts at Triangle Facial Plastic Surgery in Raleigh is here to share some tips to boost and maximize your glow so you can feel your very best on your special day!
- If you haven’t already established a consistent daily skincare routine, NOW is the time! Your daily skincare routine should include:
- Gentle cleanser in the morning, evening and after exercise.
- Moisturizer application to keep your skin hydrated and smooth.
- Vitamin C + retinol products for anti-aging. Vitamin C brightens the skin, evens skin tone and protects the skin from environmental stressors that can come during the day. Retinol (aka Vitamin A) firms and tightens the skin. Both products can be used together, but they should not be applied at the same time – apply Vitamin C in the morning and Retinol in the evening.
- Sunscreen application to your face and neck (YES, even if it’s cloudy out) and reapply after prolonged periods out in the sun.
- Exfoliate with a gentle exfoliation product 1-3 times each week (depending on your skin type). ZO SKIN HEALTH® Exfoliating Polish is an amazing, gentle polish that delivers an insta-glow and amazingly smooth skin!
- Consider additional skincare products to address specific concerns, such as acne, redness, spots and pigmentation. The best way to determine the best products to improve your skin condition is to consult with a licensed medical esthetician.
- Hydrate from within! You should consume plenty of water each day. A good rule of thumb is to drink 0.5-1.0 ounces of water for each pound you weigh.
- Schedule monthly facials to refresh and hydrate your skin, unclog pores, and improve the appearance of specific skin concerns. HydraFacial gives you glowing, firm and more youthful looking skin in just 30 minutes! And there are a variety of booster options to address your specific concerns, whether it be hyperpigmentation, acne, redness, wrinkles, etc.
- Erase forehead wrinkles, glabellar lines (aka the dreaded 11’s) and crows feet around the eyes with a neurotoxin treatment 1-2 months before the big day.
- If you’re looking to soften & contour your facial profile, and add volume to the areas including the cheeks, chin, jawline and lips, you may consider non-surgical filler treatments. Filler treatments should be done several months in advance to ensure satisfactory results. Definitely plan ahead!
- If you are looking for more dramatic results to improve the appearance of aging and problematic skin vs. skincare products and facials alone, you may consider laser and IPL (intense pulse light) treatments. They are more intensive treatments, and when combined, they are even MORE powerful! These treatments should also be scheduled several months in advance to make time for multiple treatments if needed to achieve the desired results.
- CoolPeel CO2 laser treatments deliver a total skin rejuvenation with little downtime. CoolPeel treatments dramatically reduce fine lines and wrinkles, hyperpigmentation, acne scars, minimize pore size and improve dullness and skin texture in 1-3 appointments (typically scheduled a month apart).
- BBL Hero treatments penetrate into the deeper layers of skin and deliver remarkably clear and refreshed skin. BBL Hero is great for addressing hyperpigmentation, uneven skin tone, acne, inflammation and redness. It also helps to remove unwanted dark colored hair.
Do you want to learn more about specific products and treatments that are right for YOUR skin and your goals? Let’s talk! Contact us to schedule your complimentary skincare consultation with Yelena, our licensed medical esthetician, and she will assess your skin, discuss your goals and timeline to create a customized treatment plan for you!
“Droopy nose” (aka nasal tip ptosis) occurs when the tip of the nose hooks downward or is elongated, rather than pointing forward and elevated. Dr. Adam Becker, award-winning facial plastic surgeon and rhinoplasty expert in Raleigh, NC, often treats patients with droopy nose to correct a droopy nasal tip and yield a beautiful, balanced nasal profile. Dr. Becker is here to answer the most commonly asked questions about a droopy nose.
Q: Why does the nose start to droop with age? Is it just the tip or the entire nose?
A: The nasal tip can often begin to droop starting around 30-40 years of age. This happens because the cartilages that form the tip of the nose are held in place by ligamentous structures. These ligaments, as well as the soft tissue components, begin to relax and this can cause the tip to begin to rotate downward.
Q: Is a droopy nose more common in men? Women? Both?
A: There is very little literature regarding gender differences in age related tip drooping. One group of researchers did not see a difference between men and women.
Q: Will a previous rhinoplasty do anything to limit the amount of drooping?
A: Possibly. Not all rhinoplasty surgeons use the same techniques, but when the surgeon uses techniques that strengthen the tip support, then there is potential to resist age related drooping.
Q: What do you suggest for those people who are genetically inclined to experience drooping? Is there anything they can do from a proactive viewpoint to limit the drooping?
A: Outside of living a healthy lifestyle, there are no known strategies to limit tip drooping. It’s just part of the aging process.
Q: What are some of the reasons for the droopiness?
A: Aside from age related tip drooping, some other causes of a droopy nasal tip include trauma, which can damage the supporting ligaments or the cartilages of the nasal tip. Some individuals also have a droopy nasal tip due to their inherent nasal shape.
Q: What are the best solutions for lifting a droopy tip? What if someone doesn’t want to go through with surgery?
A: Surgery is most often the only solution for a droopy nasal tip. In certain patients, dermal fillers can be used to give the appearance of a more elevated tip. This should be done by an experienced injector as filler injections into the nose carry some risk of damage to the skin due to the unique anatomy of the nose compared to other areas of the face.
If you’re concerned with a droopy nose and want to learn more about your options to improve your nasal profile, contact us to schedule a consultation with Dr. Becker and he will provide you with a full assessment and recommended treatment plan for you.
The holidays are fast approaching and with a calendar that is filling up quickly, have you thought about being ready to look and feel your very best this season? Don’t fret! Your friends at Triangle Facial Plastic Surgery in Raleigh, NC have your back! We want your season to stay merry and bright! Follow these 6 tips that will be sure to help you glow up this holiday season!
- Exercise regularly – you will feel better physically and mentally. Regular exercise improves your mood, boosts energy, helps work off extra calories you’ll be consuming during get togethers and parties and promotes better sleep.
- Drink plenty of water! A hydrated body looks and feels good. Good hydration delivers benefits for the body, including maintaining a more youthful looking glow!
- Get plenty of sleep! The holiday season is packed with extra social activities, which are fun, but add that to everything else going on in your life, it may become stressful to keep up with it all. Don’t let yourself get run down, or you could get sick and miss out on the fun.
- Treat yourself to a facial! Facials are a quick and relaxing way to take a peaceful moment for yourself, while deep cleaning, exfoliating and moisturizing the skin will refresh your look and keep you glowing all season! The Hydrafacial is our most popular facial here at TFPS because it’s quick, customizable and leaves you with the most radiant glow!
- Plan your Botox and filler treatments with Dr. Becker in advance! Neurotoxins (Botox, Dysport and Xeomin) and fillers do a wonderful job with smoothing lines and wrinkles with very little downtime. While results from filler treatments are instant, neurotoxin injection results take full effect in 7-14 days.
- Don’t forget to WEAR SUNSCREEN EVERY DAY! Wear at least SPF 30 on your face, neck and areas not covered by clothing. Even though you’re not laying out in the sun this time of year, the sun’s harmful rays will still damage the skin and cause premature skin aging.
Incorporating these simple tips into your holiday lifestyle will help give you that glowing boost you need to get you through the busiest and most joyous time of year! Give us a call (919) 706-4900 or complete our contact form to schedule your treatments. We are also available by DM on our Instagram and Facebook accounts anytime to answer any questions you may have! We wish you and yours a beautiful and glowing holiday season! ❤️
Fall Skincare Tips
September is National Skincare Awareness month. Summer is behind us, and fall officially begins this week. Now is a great time to focus on a refresh with your skincare routine! Here are some skincare tips to improve the appearance of your skin and help you establish and maintain a healthy glow all season and beyond:
- Keep using sunscreen every single day! Daily sunscreen use protects us from the sun’s harmful rays and helps slow down visible signs of aging.
- If you discontinued using retinol products during the summer, get back to it. Retinol is great for reducing fine lines & wrinkles, as it increases the production of collagen. Additional benefits of using products with retinol include improving skin texture & color and fading age spots and sun damage.
- Reverse your summer fun with a chemical peel, BBL Hero, Halo, or CoolPeel CO2 laser treatment.
- Get moisture back into your skin with some extra hydration. We have some wonderful medical-grade moisturizers available. Ask Yelena which one is best for your skin!
- Relax and refresh with a Hydrafacial and rid your skin of summer gunk, oils, sunscreens. This quick 30-minute treatment is the perfect treat for you and your skin!
- Don’t miss our limited-time laser treatment savings! BBL Hero, Halo, and CoolPeel treatments are all 20% off this month! Soak up the savings: pre-purchase now and use anytime!
Have questions? Give us a call at (919) 706-4900 during office hours (M-F 9 am-5 pm) or DM us anytime!